For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,
"Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future..." Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Surviving Stage of Having Leukemia

Curing leukemia is a difficult battle to endure, however there is hope.After my confinement at Davao Doctors Hospital,we went home in Lebak Sultan Kudarat Philippines.Do you know that my doctor told us that I could live my life until 21 years?If my body can't surpass and fight infections,my existence here on earth will be shortened.Huh!Aray ko!sakit noon ha. For short, may taning buhay ko? Hala kang bata ka.


Cancer survivor's immunity is WEAK! But MATIGAS ULO KO,I'm a fighter.I'm a WARRIOR.
I'm lucky since my parents are Christians.I want to live my life.I want to survive.


In my mind,I knew  I am SICK. But there's a VOICE within me, telling I WILL SURVIVE.Don't know saan galing ang VOICE na yon. Yes,I will survive.Parang kanta ata yun ni Gloria Gaynor.


There was a song who influenced me to Keep on holding to my belief that I can survive.It's a song by The Bachelors, WALK WITH FAITH IN YOUR HEART! If you dont know the lyrics and melody, check this video:


Let's  have a TRIVIA first about this song. Alam niyo bang ang kantang  WALK WITH FAITH IN YOUR HEART Charted at #21 on UK Singles chart in December 1966, #83 on Billboard Hot 100, and #26 on Billboard Easy Listening (AC) chart.?


Here's the lyrics :

Walk with faith in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
For the faith in your heart
The world is yours to own
You never will grieve
If within you believe

And walk with faith in your heart.
When the dreams that you dream
Seems to disappear from with you
And it's the time to hang on
And soon they will come true
It will lighten your load
As you travel that road
So walk with faith in your heart.
Whenever you have troubles
Just reach out His hands
Keep by your side
Your constant guide
And seek to understand
You will find happiness
If you let Him be your friend
And you'll find your success
It's just around the bend
He won't let you down
Wear a smile not a frown
So walk with faith in your heart.



Now tell me if this song is nice and inspiring.


Natatandaan ko ,I kept on eating AMPALAYA and ATAY ng Manok,Baboy at Baka ( Bitter Melon and Liver of Pork,Beef and Chicken)Kaya sa tuwing iihaw at  magluluto ng manok ang nanay ko, ang ATAY ay exclusive lamang sa akin.Opps,5 kaming magkakapatid noong akoy nagka leukemia.Di pa lumabas ang pang anim at pang pito.Very productive ang parents ko ano.hehehehe. Bitter Melon and Liver of Pork,Beef and Chicken are well recommended leukemia patients.

(few months after my confinement as cancer patient.I got  a special award as MOST HONEST STUDENT in Grade 1)

Simple lang buhay namin sa Nuling, Lebak.Walang Kuryente noong ako'y bata pa.Madalas kinakain namin ay gulay,prutas at isda.Eating those fresh vegetables,fruits and fishes helped me.Could you imagine,we will just go to the river at the back of our house and catch some fishes,shrimp and crablets?Sulbad na amoang sud-an.




When I was in grade 1 and Grade 2,wala ako sa honors list.Why?My brain didn't worked well.Ang natatandaan ko lang,tuwing afternoon class,natutulog ako sa upuan.My grade 1 teacher was Lola Rosario,younger sister of my grand mother.While in Grade 2,my teacher was my Lola Aida,another younger sister of my grand mom..My teacher sent me home kapag ako'y natutulog lang.


By the way, according to the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Result, Cancer statistics,the survival rate five years following diagnoses,relative to the general population,for all adult patient with leukemia is 54 %.The cure rate for leukemia in adults is usually uch lower than for children with the diseases. 


Rapid advancement and new discoveries in leukemia treatment have made surviving leukemia more likely than it was in the past.  Other options for treatment include  radiation, biological therapy and in rare cases, surgery. 


One of the most common types of leukemia, acute leukemia, must be treated right away because of how quickly the cancer progresses. The main objective of treatment is to bring about remission, leaving no trace of the disease.  During remission, more therapy is given to the patient to prevent relapse.  When treated early, many people with acute leukemia are cured.


The second most common type of leukemia, chronic leukemia, may not require immediate treatment because disease progression is slower.  However, it is imperative for those with this type of leukemia to have frequent checkups in order to monitor the disease.  When treatment is needed it is often used to control the disease and symptoms.


Biological therapy is treatment with substances that affect the immune system's response to cancer. Interferon, a drug used against some types of leukemia, is a form of biological therapy. Biological therapy or immunotherapy uses the body’s immune system to fight cancer, using antibodies to target and destroy leukemia cells

 Chemotherapy is given in cycles, a treatment period followed by a recovery period, then another treatment period and so on.  Anticancer drugs reach all areas of your body through your bloodstream.  Chemotherapy destroys cancer cells by stopping them from growing or multiplying.   Some healthy cells are destroyed as well, which is what causes the side effects, but normal cells are often able to repair themselves after treatment. Different types of drugs are used for the different types of leukemia.


By the way,these are some important information about LEUKEMIA.Im sharing this for all of you.
My recent picture taken in Penang Malaysia during Asian Cruise last summer!
LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST.Everything happens for a reason.I had leukemia when I was a child for a reason or reasons.

2 comments:

  1. Hello po! First of all I just want to let you know na I am very much inspired sa story mo. Few days ago I found out na my baby brother is diagnosed with acute leukemia and currently laying at the hospital. After doing search online about leukemia I came a cross to your blog and reading your story it helps me not to worry and be hopeful that my brother will be better.. I know god is good and we all live here for a reason. I want to thank you again for sharing your life with us. I wish you all the best:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog and story.All of us are here in this world for reason,for a purpose.Just focus in the POSITIVE side of life.Having cancer is a blessing.yeah,every problem and trial bring the best of life.God is good all the time.As long as you BELIEVE that LIFE will be BETTER and BEST,it will happen.

      Delete