For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,
"Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future..." Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, June 10, 2012

This is My Story: Leukemia Survivor

The beauty of God’s creation is beyond description.I praise God for his beautiful works.And i am one of those beautiful masterpieces He has created.


Sunset in Lebak Beach, Philippines
 There have been many times in my life when i felt down and helpless.I am sick,i would tell myself and then i would say God will find a way for me to get better,He will make a MIRACLE. And He would really do it.

  My family,relatives and other people in our barangay did not expect me to grow up into one of the more successful persons in our community.When i was six years old, I was diagnosed with LEUKEMIA.
My life was in danger.When i looked at my arms,legs and the rest of my body,I would notice the black spots that are the tell-tale signs of Leukemia. Everyone in our barangay thought my case was hopeless,but they still prayed for me to get well.



My Hometown,Lebak Sultan Kudarat,Philippines
Since we were living in a far flung barangay of Lebak,Sultan Kudarat,Southern part of Mindanao,Philippines i was brought to a quack doctor.He told us that "dewendes" had attacked my body and that was why i had those black spots.Traditional healing rituals were held,but nothing happened.

I was afraid i would die.I told my Nanay Linda,who is a church minister,to bring me to the hospital as soon as possible since i felt weak,and the spots were spreading to the upper parts of my body.The doctor in our town told us I had LEUKEMIA.She instructed my parents to bring me to Davao Doctors 


 Hospital since our town had no medical facilities for treating the disease.The doctor said I had to be brought there immediately to avoid infection on some sensitive and critical organs like the heart and brain.

      I was airlifted from our hometown of Lebak Sultan Kudarat,on a plane owned by a logging company and brought to Davao City.God gave me a miracle that time.I survived.But the doctor told us I could expect to live on until my 21st bithday.
         As i grew up,i kept telling myself my health will improve.My family loves me so much,and that’s why i have to live life to the fullest, I said.They have showed their care,affection and love in many ways. My brother Bong even told me that if one isn’t ready to die,he is not ready to live here on earth.
I had never forgotten that line as i grew up. It continues to encourage me to look at life with a lot of HOPE and OPTIMISM.
        At that epoch,there were no electricities in my beloved small barrio named Nuling.We grew up and live our life in a primitive ways:no television to watch what’s happening around the world,no refrigerator,and all stuffs that need electric power.Farming is the means of livelihood in our barrio.
    

I grew up up very different from my friends and classmates. I was exempted from tough activities in school and at home since my body was weak.I had big dreams but there were so many fears since i could not forget what happened before.But i had faith in our Almighty Father,and I believed He would perform another miracle after I had survive the first trial.

(One year after my confinement as cancer patient(from Left to Right: Me,Kuya Ardniel,Ate Grace,Kuya Velmor,Jorlyn,Dave ,Nanay linda and Tatay Boy)When i was in grade one,i got a special award as MOST HONEST STUDENT. I dont have any Honor's award since i am sick at that time.It was during Grade 3 level when i was included in the honor's list since my body was recovering.)

 There was a time during high school when i wanted to give up since i was suffering so much affliction,including malaria,typhoid fever and migraine.But my desire to live life to the fullest overcame my despair.Still I asked myself HOW COULD I LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST IF I WAS SICK?But always it was my faith that sustained my desire to live.I believed that i could have a bright future and my dreams would be fulfilled for as long as I had faith,hope and a positive outlook.God will always find a way.



      During my high school days,despite i am not that physically strong, i helped my family in doing some farm chores.Every weekend,enable us to have a weekly allowance,i usually sell some farm products in our market,ten kilometers away from our barrio.Since life was not so easy in our slepping barrio and town ,no better job offerings are available so most of my kababayan usually move out and search for a greener pastures in the nearest cities like Gensan and Davao City and even Metro Manila.


Batch 1997 of Lebak Legislated  High School!
working as radio operator in Lebak Municipal Hall.

  After high school graduation,i wasn’t able to go to college since my parents couldn’t send me to college.So i  searched for a job in our town and i had one.I’d worked as a radio operator in our Municipal Hall for a year.
    Days,months,and years passed quickly. I went to college and enrolled in a regular course to earn a degree.I became one of the better students at the university. I was active in both academic and non academic endeavors. When i was president of our organization,the MSU-SOCIOLOGY CLUB,we conducted various services in some remote barangays of SOCSKSARGEN( South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani Province and Gensan City)
   


    It was also in college that i started my broadcasting career. One of my many dreams was to be a famous disc jockey. I love to share with my radio listeners some great quotations,play some cool music and give out information that would make them aware and responsible citizens.

Since my junior years, i have been working in a local F.M. radio station.I feel great when i know that listeners are happy with my program. And i welcome the opportunity to develop my talent and potentials.


 When i celebrated my 21st birthday,it was another very memorable occasion for me.I had outlived the doctors prediction.God had made a miracle to happen again.After waiting with fear for the time to arrive,celebrating my 21st birthday proved that i was not sick anymore.


On my birthday,it was held in a very cool beach,my father paid me a surprise visit,despite the long distance between our hometown and our school.We had a simple celebration where he gave a testimony about my life history and how i survived so many illnesses and trials.At the party there was much laughter and tears of joy.It was for me one of the sweetest occasions in my life.And i am very thankful to all my college friends and classmates who shared their time in celebrating the beauty of life.





Today, i feel confident and ready to face new trials and challenges. I know God’s love is constant at immeasurable.God gave me a very serious illness during my childhood for a reason.But i came out of it with a stronger faith and a lot of Hope and confidence about the future.
   

It has been said that GOD has a reason for everything.When he closes a door, he opens not just a window but even the whole roof.Everyday is a day to be thankful for.
 

                                                    Taken at Patong Beach in Phuket Thailand

I have won my battles in my life and i feel ready to face other battles ahead. TO GOD BE THE GLORY!

4 comments:

  1. my mother was also diagnosed of acute leukemia..can you share some of the tips on how to survive?? i love my mother so much..if i could only share to her my life..i will definitely do it..if in case please include her too in your prayers..i know GOD will heal her soon..if in case you have time..you can reach me thru 0915 793 14 92..please spread to your listeners to pray for my mom..btw, her name is LUZ PUBLEO..i wont give up because my mom is a fighter..I know that GOD above has its reasons why things like this happens..still, my faith will always with him..i know this just a part of his tests to our family and love ones..hope to hear from you soon..please include my mom to your daily prayers..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi amar! my nephew was diagnosed of acute myelogenous leukemia last Dec. 2, 2012, he is 29 yrs old. and currently confine at UST Hosp ward section...can you help us by giving some information on how to survive. And also can we invite you to talk my nephew to give him the power and strength to fight his disease, either thru phone or personally. here is my cellfone no. 09335565980. Please help my nephew thru sharing your stories. May I know your contact No. so i can reach you. Our faith and prayers in God kept him alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi amar, anung station ka mapapakinggan...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading my story!God is really good all the time!He has a Purpose why we are here on earth!Just believe that He HAS the BEST PLAN for us!

    ReplyDelete